Bishop Thomas Gorman of the Diocese of Dallas wanted to open a facility for the elderly. A friend in Panama told him about the Bethlemite Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Bishop Gorman asked the Sisters to come to Dallas and establish a ministry to the elderly. St. Joseph’s Residence opened its doors on January 23, 1955 with four Sisters and seven residents. The Bethlemite Sisters have staffed the Residence ever since.
The Diocese originally purchased the property at 330 West Pembroke Avenue and paid for the construction of the building. St. Joseph’s repaid the debt for the original construction. The Residence was enlarged in 2011 with the addition of a new wing.